WARNING:

The blog content here is not always family friendly. I OCCASIONALLY write/review in erotica, extreme violence, horror, foul language and otherwise questionable content. I will warn the readers when this content occurs.

ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR IWSG

|

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Its May! And my part of Northern CA is having some nice spring weather, complete with gentle showers that water lots of May blossoms. I like cooler weather; I like snuggling under a comforter at night, long hot showers to wake me in the morning, and making stew on weekends while watching a thunder/lightening storm. I call this "cozy" weather. Hmm, got any suggestions for a good cozy mystery?



And, it's the first Wednesday of the month, so hopefully all you exhausted A-Zers made one more post for Insecure Writers Support Group! I didn't participate in A-Z, so don't look for my Reflections post. I posted more often in May than I expected to, but wasn't good at keeping up with letter specific posts. I commend everyone on their blogging spirit during the month of April.

I'm not having any insecurities lately, or any successes. I'm just going along, sporadically blogging and commenting, occasionally writing or editing on already started projects, digging through my book collections (paper and e-reader) for something interesting to read. I've been at the new job four months now, but it still feels like I'm playing catch-up to all the other workers. And I feel like I'm settled in the new home - been here about seven weeks - but I'm still adjusting to being around my family all the time, and loving all the to-do lists of making my home "my home."

Really really, I'm enjoying the mediocrity of my life. Except the allergies; I could live without that part of my life.

My IWSG post is longer than it should be, but I've got a few announcements so feel free to scroll through and get the gist; I'm sure others are posting the same announcements right now. Margo Kelly is having a giveaway also, so I'll post her's first.

To celebrate the cover reveal for Who R U Really? Margo Kelly is giving away TWO Advance Reader Copies of the book! Visit www.margokelly.net to enter by Sunday, May 11, 2014!


WHO R U REALLY?
by Margo Kelly
Merit Press -- September 18, 2014

Description:

Thea's overprotective parents are driving her insane. They invade her privacy, ask too many questions, and restrict her online time so severely that Thea feels she has no life at all. When she discovers a new role-playing game online, Thea breaks the rules by staying up late to play. She's living a double life: on one hand, the obedient daughter; on the other, a girl slipping deeper into darkness. In the world of the game, Thea falls under the spell of Kit, an older boy whose smarts and savvy can't defeat his loneliness and near-suicidal despair. As Kit draws soft-hearted Thea into his drama, she creates a full plate of cover stories for her parents and then even her friends.

Soon, Thea is all alone in the dark world with Kit, who worries her more and more, but also seems to be the only person who really "gets" her. Is he frightening, the way he seems sometimes, or only terribly sad? Should Thea fear Kit, or pity him? And now, Kit wants to come out of the screen and bring Thea into his real-life world. As much as she suspects that this is wrong, Thea is powerless to resist Kit's allure, and hurtles toward the same dark fate her parents feared most. Ripped from a real-life story of Internet stalking, Who R U Really? will excite you and scare you, as Thea's life spins out of control.


About the Author:

Margo Kelly is a native of the Northwest and currently resides in Idaho. A veteran public speaker, Margo is now actively pursuing her love of writing. Who R U Really? is her debut novel and will be published by Merit Press in September 2014. Margo welcomes opportunities to speak to youth groups, library groups, and book clubs.


Links:
Website
Goodreads
Twitter
Facebook
Barnes & Noble
Amazon
** * *





Next up is everyone's favorite anonymous writing competition known as WRiTE CLUB. Yep, DL HAMMONS is at it again (in case you didn't know he has a new website so click on my links to find DL and WRiTE CLUB if you have not yet updated your blog lists), and the panel of participating judges/prizes is awesome. Please click on the WRiTE CLUB link for all the details. Submissions are open now until May 31, with the first round starting June 16. Well, what are you waiting for; get those 500 word excerpts polished and submitted! Only the best 32 will battle it out . . .

* * *
And now for Carrie Butler and PK Hzreo PAY IT FORWARD letter to yourself on May 19. Here's the deets from Carrie's post:


I want to compile a free e-book for writers who are just starting on their road to publication, using advice from the most brilliant, up-and-coming voices in the industry: you guys! Here’s what it would involve:

THE PROMPT:

Please write a letter/note to yourself when you first started writing toward publication. The only thing I ask is that you keep it under 800 words, including as many (or as few) of these elements as you like:

   - A lesson you learned the hard way
   - Something you didn't expect about the industry (positive/negative)
   - A writing-related resource you could never do without now
   - One thing you’d change about your journey
   - One thing you’re glad you did
   - Your number one tip for pursuing publication
   - Anything else you feel is worth passing on

INFORMATION:

   - The name you wish to be credited as
   - The title (if any) you wish to follow your name, i.e. author of the series
   - One major link where people can find you, i.e. website, blog, Twitter, etc.

PLEASE INCLUDE:

   - Whether or not you give me permission to use your entry in the e-book compilation. Don’t feel bad if you don’t want in. We’d still love to read what you have to say!

* * * *

And finally, polish up your entries for Write Edit Publish's May theme FAILURE? IS IT? Blog hostess Denise Covey invites: You are welcome to submit any of the following – flash fiction, poetry, non-fiction or play scripts to a word count of 1,000 words – artwork and photographs accompanied by your written inspiration in creating your work/s.

Sign up on the linky now or post your direct link between May 21-24.

* * * *

That's it for my IWSG post this month. Visit the IWSG website for the complete linky list. This months co-hosts are: Lord Baldornot, aka Mark Koopmans; Joylene Nowell Buttler; Elsie Amata; and Lisa Buie-Collard.

37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I could do without spring allergies as well.
Saw Margo's cover!
DL's Write Club has really taken off, hasn't.
And already sent Carrie my entry. I wasn't sure if I'd have time to post it that week. I might since it's really short. (That probably doesn't surprise you...)

Denise Covey said...

Hi Donna. I'll have to check out the Write Club sometime, but as you know i've got more than enough to keep my fingers twitching.

lots of info here today. I signed up for a cover reveal but forget what it was, but it wasn't this one! Oh boy, I need to write things down...

I've fixed the Inlinkz linky. I ignored Mr Rudeness himself as I like Inlinkz more than any of the other linkies I've tried...unfortunately.

Enjoy your laid-back lifestyle while it lasts.

DeniseX

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I posted Margo's cover and giveaway today, too. Happy to see DL's Write Club is back.

Simon Kewin said...

Yep, allergies kicking in nicely here, too. Some very nice resources there - I love the idea of the note to your former self. Thanks!

DEZMOND said...

congrats to Margo!
We've had lots of rain here too, almost every day for weeks... like in Monsoon India :) but without elephants and tea plantations :(

Julie Flanders said...

Wow Carrie's ebook is a great idea! I'll have to check that out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers the cooler weather. Nothing better than snuggling under a comforter.

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like a great one indeed. And yeah allergies surely suck.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'm allergic to so many things. Allergy medicine does help. It's raining here today, so I totally picture how your Northern California days must be right now. And it's great that you don't have insecurities right now.

Margo Kelly said...

YAY! Thanks for the book cover love! :) You are awesome!!

mooderino said...

Sounds like you've got some stability back into your life. Always good to have a handle on things.

mood
Moody Writing

Lexa Cain said...

I'm glad to hear you're settling into your new home and job. I also prefer cooler weather. I hate being sweaty - I hate allergies, too, and I'm suffering the most this year than I ever have. *sniffle, snort, gurgle*

Congrats to Marlo! :)

Al Diaz said...

This year we've had a lot more allergies at the cave than ever. Dragon is getting old, I think. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your life. That's all that matters. :)

Tonja said...

I have gorgeous lilac bushes that line my front porch. They make me feel like needles are poking my eyes. But I so prefer this torture to the horrible winter we had.

It's good you are enjoying the current calm in your life.

Arlee Bird said...

Your present life sounds wonderfully idyllic. Good for a writer I should think.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Nick Wilford said...

Sounds like you're in a pretty contented place. Thanks for the round up of news. I've gotta get more involved in Write Club this time round.

Fanny Barnes Thornton said...

It sounds as if you're getting along just fine doing what you're doing, Donna. Not feeling insecure is a good place to be.

Juneta Key said...

Nice post, and interesting information.

Hope you keep settling in well,
Juneta at Writer's Gambit

Donna Hole said...

Alex: I still need to write my entry for Carrie. I'll probably post last minute, as usual.

Denise: lol, he was seriously rude! Glad you got the linky fixed though.

Hey Diane: Write Club is awesome. Wow, has it been a while since I visited you. Sorry.

Simon: hope you join. I always enjoy your writings, and will appreciate your advice to self as well.

Dezzy; monsoon with no elephants and tea sounds depressing. You notice I still have elephants posted for you on my blog?

Julie: a rum toddy would go nicely with the comforter :)

Pat; I hope your sinuses clear up soon.

Mike: Yep, allergies suck. I didn't have them as a kid, but did when I returned to CA.

No problem Margo :)

Moody: yeah, I'm glad to have my equilibrium back.

Lexa: uck, sweaty doesn't work for me either.

Al: Hello Sir; I hope you get a chance to enjoy the flowers and good spring weather.

Tonja: I have pink roses that do the same to me. Why is beauty painful?

Thanks Lee :)

Nick: if you write a submission, I will enjoy reading it.

Fanny: feels real good, thanks.

Juneta: glad you enjoyed it.

Sher A. Hart said...

Donna, your life sounds a lot like mine with the move and settling in and allergies, even reading. Except my cat went missing 5 weeks in freezing weather and was found on death's doorstep; then before I could nurse him back to health and before my brother and I finished putting together my mom's picture book dummy, she almost died. We're still remodeling for handicap access,yada, yada,so my pace is anything but leisurely. Still, I'm eating blueberries and fresh organic eggs from our free-range chickens, so I'm enjoying life in the fast lane. Make that a fast dirt lane covered in chicken droppings, LOL! I don't think I'll be entering those contests anytime soon.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Donna, even I like cool weather, hot showers, snuggling under the covers and watching the lightning and thunderstorms. And not feeling insecure is good.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yeah. We lived in N. CA but had to leave because poor hubby was allergic to everything.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Wow. That is a lot going on! Thanks for sharing it all.

I like cozy weather, too.

Thanks for your support.
Heather

Stephanie Faris said...

Life is about the little things...mediocrity is highly underrated! Oddly, I seem to have outgrown my allergies. I had them in my 20s...not sure what happened. I think at that time I was working in a building with mold or something.

VR Barkowski said...

Talk about an information packed post. You've outdone yourself, Donna! Thank you. Looking forward to see what Write Club brings this year, and I've already signed up for The Write Path.

I used to have horrible allergies when I lived there, so I feel for you, but it's great you're getting pleasant weather. It can be toasty this time of year. Also delighted to hear you're enjoying your new home. Nesting is a wonderful thing.

VR Barkowski

Cherie Reich said...

Congrats to Margo!

Ugh, allergies are no fun. And I like weather where it's more about getting cozy than sweltering under the heat.

Donna Hole said...

Sher: oh my, I hope the kitty is alive and well. I have a soft spot for cats, and long dirt roads.

Rachna; it does feel good to . . feel good :)

Donna: many people who are not born here have the worst case of allergies when they get here.

Hi Heather :)

Stephanie: well, at least it all cleared up with the change of career.

Thanks VR; I can't wait to read your Write Path excerpt.

Cherie: we think alike.

......dhole

farawayeyes said...

I'm in Tahoe, so my weather is probably similar to yours EXCEPT we keep getting snow. Nothing to write home about, but waking up to the ground covered in May is not exactly my idea of fun. I'm done with winter and ready for spring/summer.

Thanks for the reminder about Write Club. I need to post something at my space also.

AND, the suspense is killing me. who won your BOTB?

J.L. Campbell said...

Congrats to Margo on her new book. Thanks for the reminder about Carrie and P.K.'s hop. I had forgotten about that.

Hope you settle into the routine of the job soon.

Lorelei said...

Well, Donna, you sure have a lot on your plate, and given me something extra to do...
I would like to send you something for the free ebook on "How I Found the Write Path"... not that anything I did worked, but well, I'll send my 2 cents worth.

I'll also be in touch with you on my next book, information and such. Thank you for inviting me! I'd love to be on your blog!

Clare said...

Sometimes enjoying the mediocrity of life is the best part, and having no dramas to report of is great.

Good luck in your new job, and new home, and also with your writing projects. :)

Medeia Sharif said...

I love Margo's cover.

Great blog events going on. I hope to catch some of them.

I've had periods of little writing, but a lot of adjusting.

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Donna,

Glad to hear things are going well for you! Sounds like life is on even ground for you now after so much upheaval just a few short months ago...

Hope all is well!

Miss you....

Nicki Elson said...

The compilation of announcements is very much appreciated. I have GOT to get over to DL's new place.

I agree that being immersed in mediocrity can be quite fulfilling and pleasant. :)

Nicki Elson said...

The compilation of announcements is very much appreciated. I have GOT to get over to DL's new place.

I agree that being immersed in mediocrity can be quite fulfilling and pleasant. :)

Donna Hole said...

Thanks FAE; posting it tomorrow.

I have Joy :)

Lorelei: Write Path submissions go to Carrie and PK; but I do remember signing up to host you with the release of your next book. I look forward to hearing from you.

Clare: yep, I was due a break, lol.

Media; I think we all need those low writing productivity times to get organized. Makes us better writers in the long run.

All is well Michael. I miss you too.a

Hi Nicki! Yep, DL is doing some good things at his new site.

Gossip_Grl said...

Lately I haven't had time to be insecure. I will definitely look for the book Who R You? I think my daughter needs to read that book.

Dinesh gir said...

Visit for any Online Jobs from Home
OnlineJobs