WARNING:

The blog content here is not always family friendly. I OCCASIONALLY write/review in erotica, extreme violence, horror, foul language and otherwise questionable content. I will warn the readers when this content occurs.

A PICTURE PROMPT

|

Wednesday, March 21, 2012



You guys know how I love a good blogfest, especially one that allows more than a 400 word count story.  The folks at Unicorn Bell are hosting A PICTURE PAINTS 1000 WORDS blog hop between March 26-28.

Here's how it will work:
1. Sign up in Mr. Linky below.
2. Tell your friends any way you want and send them over to sign up for the party.
3. Choose a picture to inspire your short story (the story can be about what you see in the picture, or just something that it sparked in your imagination.)
4. On Monday-Wednesday (March 26-28), post your story of 1000 words or less and go around to visit the other participants. You may want to post early, see below.
5. The four of us at UB will do the same and pick our four favorites to post links to on Wednesday night.
6. On Thursday you get to read the four and vote for your favorite.
7. The winner will be announced on Friday. They will have a choice between a first chapter critique from those of us at UB, or a $20 gift card to Amazon (courtesy of me - Charity Bradford).

In case you are not familiar with the Unicorn Bell site - which offers page and chapter critiques along with other useful writing exercises and info - the hosts are Jeffrey Beesler, Charity Bradford, CD Cofflet as Huntress, and Marcy as mshatch.

The pictures are mostly fantasy/sci-fi types, but there are some gorgeous scenery, including the castly on the blogfest button.  Stop by the announcement post to view the prompt pictures and sign up on the linky.  I'm looking forward to reading everyone's submissions.

And don't forget, Romantic Friday Writers prompt #34 this Friday, 3/23 is SHE WEARS MY RING.  You don't have to be a member of RFW to post an excerpt to the challenge; but it does have to be 400 words or less and include a romantic quality.  Response to the challenge does not have to be original, unpublished work. It can be an old story or poem, an extract from a WIP, a story that's been languishing on your flash drive and just needs a bit of a cut, paste and polish to fit the theme. Then you'll feel all self satisfied - you'll know why you kept that story or poem that just wouldn't cut it until now...

14 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like a neat one, as pics do paint 1000 words with ease, especailly sci-fi like ones.

Elliot Grace said...

...awww man, sounds like one of my favorite assignments back in Creative Writing class...a hundred years ago ;)

I'll be checking the calendar, and if permitted, will be throwing my hat into the ring.

El

Brinda said...

This sounds so fun, but I may have to take a pass. Do you ever overload yourself? Yep. I've done it to myself.

Elaine AM Smith said...

Thanks for telling me about this blogfest. It sounds like a lot of fun. I'm finishing my last piece of homework and then I may have time to get on to writing something for this.

Julie Dao said...

This sounds like so much fun, Donna! Thanks for telling me about it. I'm going to have to sign up!

Bryan Russell said...

Picture prompts are fun. I've written some good stories based on pictures.

lbdiamond said...

Sounds neat!!!

Rachna Chhabria said...

This sounds cool :)

Btw...will keep your suggestion regarding my character's decision whether to use or not to use magic in class in mind during the next draft. Thanks a lot.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not participating, but the images they've selected are awesome!

DEZMOND said...

ooh, sounds lovely!

Joshua said...

I can't do another thing right now, but I'll be sure to come by to see what you do.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I shall try and spread the word on this :)

Donna Hole said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I see this blogfest announced lots of places now. It looks like a good turn out for participants. Can't wait to read everyone's entry's.

......dhole

Sarah Pearson said...

I'm looking forward to reading the results of this. I'll be interested to see how the non SciFi/Fantasy writers interpret one of the pictures.