WARNING:

The blog content here is not always family friendly. I OCCASIONALLY write/review in erotica, extreme violence, horror, foul language and otherwise questionable content. I will warn the readers when this content occurs.

I'M HEARING VOICES BLOGFEST (Part 1)

|

Monday, February 6, 2012


Cassie Mae and Angela Cothran are hosting the I'm Hearing Voices Character Blogfest.  This is a three part event on 2/6, 2/8, and 2/10.  I'll let Cassie explain:

The Posts:

February 6th - Monday: Characters on the couch: Have one of your characters answer the following questions (to make this work to your benefit, choose a character who is the hardest for you to write :) Max 250 words (Not including the questions—only the answers).

1. What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?
2. What do people believe about you that is false?
3. What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?
4. What would the same friend say is your one redeeming quality? Why?
5. What do you want most? What will you do to get it?

February 8th - Wednesday - Dialogue Introduction: Have two characters introduce each other using only dialogue—no backstory, no internalization, just dialogue between the two. Max 250 words.

February 10th - Friday - Emotion Flash Fiction: Emotion is the engine of a story. Pick an emotion and in a flash fiction piece of 250 words MAKE us feel it! We want to connect with your character. This will be a challenge in 250 words.

* * *
I'm letting Amy Thompson (the main character from my women's fiction novel Not Her Mother's Fate) answer the five questions in her own, narrative way . . . .

   My biggest vulnerability is trust.  I am so afraid of being hurt, or betrayed, I have difficulties trusting in others.  To some extent, the others around me know this, because I do not discuss my past with anyone.  I’m pretty sure my best friend Joy would understand if I flat out told her because she has suffered some of the same abuses as I.  But again, I’m not sure I could trust even Joy with my secrets because she shares everything about herself with her boyfriends.  This might also include my secrets since she is always trying to get me to loosen up and date some of the guys that hang out. 

   As for one redeeming quality, Joy might say it is my perseverance.  Once I decide to date, or become a friend, I stick with it at all costs.  What I want most is a normal family; a man who won’t hurt me, or his children.  Someone who can make me forget the past as if it never happened.    I thought that man was Robert Crane; but that was before I met his best friend Cal.   I am willing to abandon Robert – leave him to his religion and overbearing parents – and pursue my fate with Cal.  Such a disloyal act however, might cost me Cal’s love and trust and all the future I’m striving for with him.
***
There are also prized attached to this blogfest.  Stop by Cassie or Angie's blogs for more details and the linky list.  There is still time to sign up and post your own Voices excerpts.

38 comments:

Madeleine Maddocks said...

Oh wow Amy sounds so vulnerable. Poor thing must have put up with a lot to make her so afraid to trust.

Emily said...

Sounds like a great contest!

But oh, poor Amy! She sounds like she's in for some trouble.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amy sounds like a very conflicted character.

Kyra Lennon said...

Aww, Amy sounds very complex, and it seems as though she has suffered a lot pain.

One of my main characters is called Cal, and he is the one I interviewed for this challenge!

Cristina said...

I love how you let her answer the questions with a narrative. I hope she finds what she is looking for :)

Pat Hatt said...

You really know your character, great job with the questions.

Pat Hatt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trisha said...

She's vulnerable, true, but she sounds like she's quite gutsy if she's going to go for this Cal guy, considering all the risks she knows that move will entail!

Nice post Donna, and I have to say I love the name Cal for a male character - esp. the sexy kind. I knew a Cal in a book I read as a pre-teen and it's just stuck with me. :)

Clare said...

Ah, poor Amy. She sounds as though she's had a tough time, and has a lot of trust issues.

She also sounds like she's in a complex situation with Cal and Robert.

Justin W. Parente said...

You do a wonderful job creating Amy to me in under 250 words. Thanks for sharing.

JWP

Carol Kilgore said...

Amy's journey should be interesting. She has a lot of obstacles in her path.

Dianne Gardner said...

Lots of conflict in this poor gal. Intriguing character.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh there's a blogfest. Well, that explains all the hearing voices things I see in my blog feed.

Your character sounds very interesting...good luck with her.

David P. King said...

Seems like I'm the only one NOT doing this blogfest. That makes me ultra lame. Your character is anything but, though. Nice one! :)

Cassie Mae said...

Oh my gosh, my heart is breaking! I want to reach through the computer and give her a big ol' hug.

Great job. This was awesome!

lbdiamond said...

Poor Amy.

Neat blogfest!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

She sure sounds like her life is way more interesting than mine. I too have problems with trust. Just been burned too many times.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Amy does sound conflicted. But those provide the most interest in a novel. Great job, Roland

Emily R. King said...

Hi, Donna! I'm a new follower.
I like how I learned so much about all of your characters in this interview.

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

She sounds like a lot of us. She's woman and she's relatable. Great job.

Angela Cothran said...

I love how you answered the questions Donna :) Amy sounds so real to me, and I LOVE the conflict you've put her in! Great job :)

Hope Roberson said...

Great character insight and motivation!

T.D. McFrost said...

I could think of so many nasty things to say about your name, but I'm a nice boy. LOL

I loved the voice of your MC, Donna Hole, it was divine!

So very nice to meet you!

Sara said...

Amy sounds so conflicted! I also love your approach, just having her narrate it!

Tara Tyler said...

so complicated! she's torn and needs to trust someone.
great voice!

Jenny S. Morris said...

Nice job!

DL Hammons said...

It sure sounds like you have a fully fleshed out character in Amy. Well done!

Sarah Pearson said...

She sounds very true to life!

Joshua said...

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else: The voices in my head are for me. I let some of them out on page, but I need a publisher before they are set completely free.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Oh, I love her! I just want to give her a hug :)

Ashley Nixon said...

Wow! She's in a tough situation! Her voice is so strong! I really like Amy!

Hywela Lyn said...

Poor Amy, she sounds very vulnerable - I hope she gets her H.E.A.!

Donna Hole said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I'm still working my way through all the entries. If I haven't got to you yet, I will soon.

......dhole

Danielle B. said...

I hope Amy can find her way in life. She holds a soft spot in my heart already. These entries are all great. Thanks for sharing.

Clarissa Draper said...

What a sad character with so many difficult choices to make. Love her though. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Your main character sounds like my main character, on the back story is very different. :)

Great idea for a blogfest.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Sounds like your MC has some good issues to work through in your book. Good job!

Leigh Covington said...

Oooh! I love it. It tells so much, and still leaves some mystery. Sounds like a wonderful character and a fabulous story! Definitely a page turner.