WARNING:

The blog content here is not always family friendly. I OCCASIONALLY write/review in erotica, extreme violence, horror, foul language and otherwise questionable content. I will warn the readers when this content occurs.

THE SHINY NEW *#$

|

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ok, so I'm reading through this novel, adding my critique comments; but my mind isn't totally on the story.  Why?

Well; I've surfed the blogs here and there on day job and crit breaks and seen what's out there - even if I haven't commented.  (BTW; I did finally vote for the Ren3 finalist, but I'm unhappy I had to chose only one.  I'd buy all six novels if I saw them in a bookstore . .)

There are several events I want to participate in - yes all in my community events or listed in my right side bar.  But I'm behind in my critiquing b/c I joined too many events in October, had my own publishing excitement, had to write a submission for my ftf crit group, checked out loads of blogs and several blog tours . . and now I'm giving a lot of heavy thought to just chucking it all and reading some books.

I got tons of those sitting around in the Kindle or physical bookshelves waiting to be read . .

So; back to the crit . .  I'm reading along and the scene involves *** and I'm intrigued and engaged enough not to add any red or blue comments.  But the segment sticks in my mind, apparently; because not long after I read ### which is totally unrelated.  Except to my muse . .

So I open a blank works document and work on ### which eventually brings me to $$$ and that sorta ties into *** . .  Well, that sucks, because its over word count for the WRiTE Club excerpt thats been on my mind for a couple weeks.  OH, wait; is that where this is going?  How did I get there from the ms I've been reading for over a month?

"But, don't you like ***" Muse asks.

Nevermind; the problem now is I have this shiny new idea that has nothing to do with anything I've been working on lately but looks sort of . . .   Damn.

Tell me you've never encountered the problem? 

You're working on this one thing, and some rude *#$ just pushes everything else aside in your WRiTE brain; and next thing you know you've started a new project.  And haven't a clue where its going, or where it came from, but if you don't drop everything and write it out as it comes to you in bits and pieces you're sure you'll lose it forever.

Except . . you'll see the full blown idea on the NY best sellers list under some other author's name; one that had the time to develop that shiny new *#$ when it breezed your way for 30 seconds and all you did was write down the bare basics that looked like "Once upone a time . ." and then you went back to whatever it was you were working on at the time . .

Tally ho writer friends; how many works in progress do you have that are from one sentence to 1000 words or less?

Adult content in the below video - cuz I just needed this while I'm submitting to contests and short story publications and reading for others . .

Seriously tame for ICP - if you've ever listenend to their stuff . .

18 comments:

Elliot Grace said...

...happens to me with every sunset, Donna. Trying to squeeze out a few spare minutes before the nightcap to work on a project, only to spend the next hour slamming sticky-notes onto the wall, each one armed with new ideas. Yep, it's a beautiful disaster, one only a writer can appreciate ;)

El

Sarah Pearson said...

The last time this happened to me was the day after NaNo started :-)

KarenG said...

This is one of those issues I don't have with writing although I have it with about everything else! That whole brain jumping around thing. My biggest problem with writing is plain and simple: procrastination. But I'm trying to resolve that by putting myself on a schedule. so far it's helped a lot.

Anne Gallagher said...

Always. I have about 15 Word.docs on my drive with ideas. Hate it. But what's a writer to do but write it down, let it go, and when you come back to it, say, "Hey, wow, that's brilliant! Maybe I should do something with it."

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah we think we are taking on only a few things and then they start to add up and we become swamped. Been there.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I get ideas and then jot them down for later.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Please send all shiny new ideas my way. Thank you!

Laurel Garver said...

I agree with Diane. I keep a journal full of half-baked ideas, poems in progress, scenes I might add to the current WIP or write as a short story. I come back to them when I am super stuck on the current project.

Bryan Russell said...

No short works in progress... but lots of long ones. That's just how I roll, sometimes.

JL Stratton said...

Well, Donna, as you may, or may not know, I write under a pen name as well as my own name, so I have a few projects working in both personas. I think that, if the idea is important enough, your writerly mind will just shuffle everything else around until you've made the time for it. I think that is the muse's way of ensuring our best ideas remain fresh in our minds. Of course, in my case, I just charge head-long into a project until I've smothered it, and taken all the fun out of it. Damn me.

DL Hammons said...

I have a notebook chock-full of story ideas, but I refuse to work on more than one project at a time (except for an occasional short-story for a competition). Only way I can keep sane...and that's debatable. :)

Domey Malasarn said...

I just go with the flow and start as many stories as my brain wants me to. Most of the time the ideas feel inspired, but as soon as I write them out, they fall flat. In a way, that's a relief to me because then I can go back to my earlier project.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

The shiny new idea is a godsend, Donna. Work on it while the muse is hot. When it cools, go back to your original project. When it hits a roadblock, go back to your surprise muse visit, and it will be roaring to go. The switch back and forth will keep both projects fresh! Roland

THE SARCASM GODDESS said...

I have started so many WIPs I can't keep track. One day, I say, one day I'll finish them all. Ha!

Donna Hole said...

You say it all perfectly El :) Ooh the sticky note; still my favorite . .

Oh no Sarah; I hope you got some NaNo writing done afterwards :)

Oh yeah; good luck with the scheduling Karen. And some of my best ideas come from procrastination :)

I've had a few "brilliant" moments Anne; and sometimes I even figure out what the theme was :)

I looked at my "started" pile one day Pat; wasn't a pretty sight . .

Diane: do they ever get developed "later"? Seems to be my problem at this moment.

You wish Alex :) Whatcha' got to trade?

Hi Laurel :) Yeah, I have some of those that are further in development than others b/c they stick with me.

LOL Bryan; yeah, I only have two long projects I revisit. 10 words is considered progress on those :)

I do know JL :) I have a couple of your books I haven't been able to write a review on yet :( Soon, i should be able to just read . .

Oh DL, I don't know that I'd accuse you of being sane. That would totally ruin the image :) But I read your blog consistently, and I see how many projects you juggle. I'm amazed and impressed.

Domey; that is me too. So many ideas I look at later and say WTF? But you never know: my story Scent that just published was one of those resurrections . .

I know Roland - but what if you have six of those "surprise" muse moments while working on one favorite project? Does that make the fav a waste due to it boringness?

Thanks all for stopping by :)

.........dhole

Donna Hole said...

Hear here, Goddess (lol); one day we shall conquer all :)

......dhole

Elisabeth said...

Pleased to meet you, Donna. I'm a bit like you I fear constantly assailed by new ideas, too many to tackle at once and certainly too hard to follow through on. All we can do is try.

Jon Mac said...

I agree with the "strike while the muse is hot" philosophy. Sometimes when I get something "totally different" stuck in my mind, I just write it in the middle of whatever I'm working on and figure I can clean it up and cut&paste later.

As for procrastination, ha, I like to call that "research" ;)